Saturday, October 10, 2015

Pinterest In The Classroom

1.What did you learn from the PINTEREST activity?  I learned that there are a lot of options to choose from in education; however, when I narrowed my search to “after school/career & college readiness,” I did not find as many diverse options to choose from.  This was also the case when I searched for “after school” spaces.  So, this leads me to believe that there is some opportunities to develop pins in this area.  I also learned that this resource is amazing in ALL that it has to offer and the unending options that are available to use it.  For instance, the options are endless if I wanted to get some do it yourself ideas for making furniture, decorating my home, making jewelry, etc.  There is also a teen Pinterest that has a lot of options for teens.


2.How do you believe you will utilize PINTEREST as a teacher?  I believe that Pinterest not only a good resource for teachers, but it is also a great option for the students to use.  I would allow students to develop their own personal boards and allow them to use PINTEREST as a resource to further help them with developing their SMART Goals and vision boards.  I think there are many options to get them to do research and get ideas on various career pathways.  I would also use it as an opportunity to challenge my staff to think about ways to incorporate this resource into our after school curriculum.  Lastly, I would like to use this as a resource for Parents.  For instance, parents can look at Student Activities and get an idea of what their child should be aware of.


3.What are the strengths of PINTEREST?  There are a number of strengths that Pinterest offer.  First, I believe that the greatest strength is the unlimited options that are available.  Second, Pinterest is intuitive and very easy to use.  The simplicity takes away any dread that non-technical folks generally encounter.  Additionally, Pinterest allows individuals to share their interests and their passions.  In the e-world of “community,” Pinterest allows people to become part of a community of their choice.  Finally, Pinterest has very limited reading and LOTS of visuals!  I believe that getting “caught” up in the pictures is


4.What are some of the challenges of PINTEREST?  I think that the biggest challenge with Pinterest is that anyone can “pin” anything!  With that in mind, I could pin something that belongs to my sister without giving her credit.  As well, I mentioned that the greatest strength of Pinterest is the unlimited options and I believe that that is also a challenge.  There are so many options that you really need to have/make the time to browse. 


5.What comments, questions, thoughts, opinions, and/or feedback do you have about PINTEREST?  The exposure to Pinterest and creating boards has been great for me.  I was familiar with Pinterest but did not realize the true nature of creating a board.  From a professional perspective, I wonder if I would be able to establish my boards and create my own community (for students).  I would like to pursue this idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment